Save an extra 10% on all clearance items using code "SAVEMORE"

Glossary of Terms


In this industry, there are a variety of terms that may need explaining for users who are not extremely familiar with the products on offer. Whether you’re a brand new smoker or you just want to brush up on terminology (we definitely suggest it if the last time you smoked was when Jerry Garcia was still alive), you can learn everything you need to know right here in our glossary!

Throughout our site you will see many of the following terms used for products and product descriptions; this is a list of the most common items that may need further explanation.

  1. Ash Catcher Mouthpiece
  2. 9mm/12mm
  3. 10mm/14mm/18mm (19mm)
  4. Ashcatcher or Ash-Catcher
  5. Bat
  6. Bong
  7. Bowl
  8. Borosilicate
  9. Bubbler
  10. Carb
  11. Carb Cap
  12. Chillum
  13. Color Changing
  14. Dab/Dabbing
  15. Dabber
  16. Dab Rig
  17. Diffusion/Diffused
  18. Domeless Nail
  19. Dome
  20. Downstem
  21. Dugout
  22. E-Nail/Electric Nail
  23. Female/Male
  24. Flower
  25. Fumed/Fuming
  26. Glass on Glass
  27. Ground Joint
  28. Heady Glass
  29. Marble
  30. Millies
  31. Oil Pen
  32. One-Hitter
  33. Opal
  34. Percolator/Perc
  35. Quartz
  36. Recycler
  37. Reversal
  38. Sandblasting
  39. Sherlock
  40. Slide
  41. Spoon
  42. Spubbler
  43. Waterpipe
  44. Wig-Wag

Ash Catcher Mouthpiece

The indented mouthpiece that catches ash from entering your mouth found on pipes like the GRAV Classic Spoon.


These millimeter sizes are in reference to the glass slide measurement for the standard non-glass-on-glass product they are describing.


These millimeter sizes are in reference to the ground joint on the glass-on-glass products they are describing. The most common industry sizes are 10mm, 14mm and 18mm, which will occasionally be described as 19mm. These are actually the same size, at 18.8mm, and when listed can be rounded up or down for clarity’s sake as long as the rounding is consistent.

These are waterpipe or bong attachments that help to prevent the accumulation of resin at the bottom of the piece in question. This provides an additional level of filtration that leads to a cleaner, smoother smoke.

Also called a water pipe, this is a large pipe that holds water for filtration. Unlike a bubbler or handheld piece containing water, a bong is usually much larger and consists of a tube mouthpiece that your lips go inside rather than around, such as with a handheld bubbler. Bongs can come in a variety of shapes and sizes and typically consist of a tube, downstem and bowl. For ease of organization on our site, all products under “Bongs & Water Pipes” are typically used for dry herb while products under “Dab Rigs” are used for waxes and concentrates.


This is the bowl-shaped area of a given pipe where herb is inserted. Bowls usually have a single hole at the bottom to allow airflow for your smoke; however, some bowls use multiple holes or even built-in screens.


A high-quality glass used to make pipes. Borosilicate glass is strong and durable but not designed for extreme temperature changes.

A hand pipe that can hold water, much like a miniature bong. Bubblers feature a downstem that is usually fixed on the pipe that filters your smoke through water before inhalation.


A small hole found on glass hand pipes and some acrylic pipes. The carb is covered by the thumb or finger while inhaling to build smoke inside the pipe; releasing the carb releases the smoke in turn and allows for easy inhalation. Sometimes referred to as a “power hitter.”

Carb Cap

A device used for dabbing. Usually used with domeless nails, the carb cap is placed over the nail, pressurizing the oil within and causing it to spread over the surface. This, in turn, helps to vaporize waxes that would ordinarily be wasted.

A dry pipe that resembles a larger, glass one-hitter. Consists of a small, straight pipe without a carb.

Color Changing


A dab is a small portion of wax used to smoke on dab rigs, usually large enough for one hit. Dabbing is the act of smoking this dab.


A tool used for smoking dabs. It is usually a 2’”-5” metal or glass piece that has at least one pointed tip. There is a large variety of dabbers and tips which all serve different functions.

Much the same function and design as a water pipe or bong, but used for smoking concentrates or waxes instead of herb. Dab rigs will usually consist of a male joint with a nail and dome, although some use domeless nails.


Diffusion is the act of water passing through a percolator to create small bubbles in the water, creating a cooler and smoother hit. A “diffused” product such as a downstem is one that diffuses the hit in this manner.

Domeless Nail

Used for smoking concentrates. It requires the smoker to heat it to a high temperature before touching the dab directly to the nail, discarding the need for a dome. The smoke travels through a hollow center in a domeless nail, unlike a standard nail, where the smoke travels around the nail and is held in by the dome.

Glass piece with a female connection that fits on dab rigs. It holds in the smoke while the nail is heated before passing it on to your piece.


Portion of the pipe that the smoke travels through from the bowl into the water; present in most bongs and water pipes. These come in a variety of lengths and can be easily replaced on most pipes.

Portable box used to store tobacco or herb. Many feature a slot for one-hitters to allow for a quick smoke.

E-Nail/Electric Nail

A device for dab rigs that allows the user to control the temperature of the nail without need of torches or domes. The nail heats electronically, allowing it to stay hot for hours at a time.


Term describing a joint or connection to a glass on a glass pipe. Use your imagination.


Slang for dry herb. For example, a “flower bowl” would be a bowl used to smoke dry herb.


Glass blowing technique that uses gold or silver flakes in the glass to change its color when placed on different surfaces or heated at different temperatures. “Gold fumed” pipes tend to be yellowish before color change, whereas “silver fumed” are more typically pinkish.

Glass on Glass

Also called “GoG,” this refers to any pipe that uses two glass ground joints to make a sealed connection, as opposed to standard pipes that use a rubber o-ring to seal a connection.

Ground Joint

The frosted area of any GoG connection. Can be either male or female and come in 10mm, 14mm or 18mm lengths.

Heady Glass

Slang for high-quality pipes that are made with advanced technology, often in a limited run.


A glass extrusion from a pipe. The marble either magnifies the design on the pipe underneath or has its own unique design such as a flower, millie or opal.


Small chips of colored glass that are used to make special designs in glass pipes.

Oil Pen

A portable, pen-shaped vape used for smoking waxes and concentrates discreetly and on-the-go.

Also called a “bat,” this is a cigarette-sized pipe with no carb that fits into a dugout for quick, discreet smokes. One-hitters are frequently made from glass, quartz or metal and come in 3 different sizes.


A small gem usually included in a marble for decorative purposes.


An additional filtration mechanism in bongs and water pipes that allows for a smoother, cleaner hit. The most common styles of percolator are inline, showerhead, barrel and tree shapes.


A type of glass used to make domeless nails, bats and other accessories. Quartz is more fragile than Pyrex, but can withstand higher temperatures without breaking.


A component of a bong or water pipe that brings the water back down to the bottom of the pipe when it would ordinarily travel up the mouthpiece. This creates a better flow than most standard water pipes.


Also called “wig-wags,” this is a glassblowing technique that creates colorful spirals in the final design.


A technique used on glass pieces that takes layers off the surface to engrave a logo or design. This is done by literally blasting sand onto the pipe around a stencil, hence the name.

A pipe named for its similarity in appearance to Sherlock Holmes’ hook-style pipe. Any piece with a bowl that drops down and sits lower than the mouthpiece may be considered a Sherlock.


More commonly called a “bowl,” this refers to the part of the pipe or bong that sits in the downstem where the herb is packed. Slides are usually GoG but can also be 9mm or 12mm slides with a rubber o-ring.

A common hand pipe with a bowl and carb. Aptly named for the shape of the pipe. Sits like a “spoon” with a hollowed-out end.


A glass hand pipe in the shape and size of a spoon but which functions like a bubbler.


Previous Post Next Post